Typically aftermarket truck or SUV accessories, step bars are an easy way to provide accessibility while protecting and customizing your vehicle.
INSTALL LEVEL OF DIFFICULTYEASY
What Is a Step Bar?
- A step bar is a specially fabricated protection and/or utility device designed for the exterior of an SUV or pickup truck. They come in a variety of different designs and styles.
How Does a Step Bar Work?
- A step bar can be attached to certain types of vehicle in different areas, according to its intended function. In many cases it is designed to span the distance between the front and rear wheel on each side, but sometimes it is placed beneath the cab only. These bars are designed to be model specific, so that they can be attached easily to existing holes that have been drilled into the frame of the vehicle.
Special brackets are included to allow secure fitment, so that the bar will protect the main part of the vehicle from everyday damage. As the name implies, however, they can also assist in accessing the vehicle.
How Is a Step Bar Made?
- A step bar is usually made from chrome or powder coated steel, but varying styles and finishes are available. Rubber tread pads provide a nonslip foothold.
Why Do Step Bars Fail?
- The rubber may deteriorate with extended use.
- The bar may become damaged through impact.
- The brackets may become loose after an extended period.
Why does it Fail?
- It may become difficult to get a secure foothold.
- The bar may rattle when driving.
What are Consequences of Failure?
- Slip or fall when trying to get a foothold.
- The bar may not be able to protect the vehicle from subsequent impacts.
- The bar could detach from its mounting.
A well-made and properly attached step bar should last for an extended period of use in normal circumstances. However, should a replacement be needed due to damage or wear, they are relatively easy to swap out.
If you have questions or concerns about step bars or any other performance accessories, come into your local Pep Boys where we can answer any question, help you find any part,or perform any vehicle service you might need.