POWER STEERING PUMP
Most power steering systems work by using a hydraulic system to multiply force applied to the steering wheel inputs to the vehicle's steered road wheels. The hydraulic pressure typically comes from a pump driven by the vehicle's engine.
INSTALL LEVEL OF DIFFICULTYMEDIUM
How is it Made?
- Hydraulically tested for proper flow, seal, pressure and output
- All critical components tested three times before leaving the factory
- Grade seals & O-rings
- High-temp seals when applicable
- 100% computerized
Why Does it Fail?
- Seals leak
- Shaft wear
- Bearing wear
- Failure/locked up
What are the Symptoms of Failure?
- Steering system may leak
- Lack of assist
- Line restriction
- Whining or squealing noise
- Wheels are difficult to turn
- Steering wheel vibrates while idling
What Are the Consequences of Failure?
- Steering wheel will be hard to turn
- May damage the rack
If you have questions or concerns about power steering pumps or any of your vehicle’s components, come into your local Pep Boys where we can answer any question, help you find any part, or perform any vehicle service you might need.