FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY
The fuel pump assembly is the heart of a vehicles fuel delivery system. Its function is to supply clean pressurized fuel to the fuel injectors. In addition to this, it provides the fuel level reading to the vehicles instrument cluster, shuts off the fuel nozzle when refueling, among many other critical functions. The fuel pump assembly is found within the fuel tank and is submerged in fuel during normal operation.
INSTALL LEVEL OF DIFFICULTYDIFFICULT
What is it?
- Fuel pump assemblies have significantly evolved over the past ten years; this product started as a simple replacement for hanger pumps due to its superior low fuel performance and now includes the vehicle's fuel pump as well as many components.
- A fuel pump assembly is comprised of an Electric Fuel Pump which is installed inside of a reservoir to keep the pump immersed in fuel even when the fuel tank is at a low level.
- Late model vehicles' fuel pump assemblies now include ROV (Roll Over Valves), FLVV (Fuel Limit Vent Valves), a fuel pressure regulator and dual strainer / filter designs.
How Does It Work?
- The reservoir collects fuel from within the fuel tank and the electric fuel pump pumps fuel to the vehicle's fuel injectors, where it is atomized and delivered to the vehicles intake or cylinders.
- The fuel pump is electrically operated by a relay via the computer. It depends on appropriate circuit voltage to supply necessary fuel to the engine.
How Is It Made?
- Fuel Pump Assemblies are primarily comprised of plastic reservoir and either a plastic or steel top cover or flange. Assemblies usually incorporate both a fuel inlet and outlet to allow fuel to flow to and from the vehicle's engine, in addition to an electrical connector that supplies power to the Electric Pump.
How Does It Fail?
- Electronic failure.
- Mechanical Failure.
What are Symptoms of Failure?
- No start
- Hard start
- Rough idle
- Lack of power
- Engine misfire
- Intermittent engine performance
What Are the Consequences of Failure?
- A vehicle's engine is 100% reliant on fuel to start and run.
- A failed Fuel Pump Assembly will result in a vehicle not starting.
If you have questions or concerns about fuel pumps or any of your vehicle’s components, come into your local Pep Boys where we can answer any question, help you find any part, or perform any vehicle service you might need.