Fuel Filters are an important part of keeping your engine running at peak performance, delivering trouble free miles down the road. Most are cylindrical in form and connect two sections of your vehicle's fuel line between the gas tank and fuel delivery system into the engine.
INSTALL LEVEL OF DIFFICULTYDIFFICULT
What is it?
- Fuel filters capture contaminants in the fuel that can damage the engine.
How Does It Work?
- Most fuel filters have pleated media inside that captures contaminants in the fuel. Fuel drawn from the intake side of the filter, into the filter chamber that surrounds the media, next it is drawn through the media cleaning the fuel and then back to the fuel line through the exit outlet.
How Is It Made?
- Most are cylindrical in shape that is drawn, stamped or molded material with a media inside with an intake opening followed by an outlet.
How Does It Fail?
- Severe duty can cause failure.
- Dirty or fouled fuel.
- The media becomes clogged or restrictive preventing proper flow.
What are Symptoms of Failure?
- Rough idle.
- Difficult starts.
- Poor performance.
- Low fuel economy.
- Check engine light.
What Are the Consequences of Failure?
- The engine will not start.
- Engine stopping while driving.
- Fuel leakage around filter inlet.
If you have questions or concerns about fuel filters or any of your vehicle’s components or fluids, come into your local Pep Boys where we can answer any question, help you find any part, or perform any vehicle service you might need.