STEERING GEAR BOX
The steering gear box (or steering gear) responds to the movement of the steering wheel and steers the wheels in the corresponding direction.
INSTALL LEVEL OF DIFFICULTYMEDIUM
How Does it Work?
- Connected to the steering universal joint, which spins the rack and pinion
- Fluid inside of steering gear box allows the piston to spin
- Controls the ratio of steering wheel input to actual steering output
How is it Made?
- Units are hydraulically tested for proper flow, seal, pressure and output ensuring like-new performance
- All critical components are tested three times before leaving the factory to ensure exceptional performance
- 100% new premium grade seals and o-rings, including high-temp seals when applicable
Why Does it Fail?
- Seals leak
- Bearing wear
What are the Symptoms of Failure?
- Steering system may leak
- Lack of assist
- Line restriction
- Whining or squealing noise
What are Consequences of Failure?
- Difficulty steering
If you have questions or concerns about steering gear boxes or any of your vehicle's components, come into your local Pep Boys where we can answer any question, help you find any part, or perform any vehicle service you might need.