When it comes to staying safe on the road, little is more important than your vehicle’s brakes. Proper vehicle maintenance and timely brake replacement is essential to ensuring safe stopping distances and avoiding accidents.
- Used on disc brakes, brake pads squeeze the rotor and create the friction needed to stop your vehicle.
- Disc brakes have been commonly used on new vehicles for the past 20 years, although some smaller cars still use drum brakes on the rear.
- There is no exact mileage recommendation on how often you should replace your brake pads since driving habits and conditions play a large part in wear and tear. However, regular checks and paying close attention to warning signs (i.e. squeaking, loss of stopping power) are very important. Vehicle specific recommendations can often be found in the user manual as well.
- Basic brake pads provide the safety and stopping power you need at an affordable price.
- Standard pads meet original equipment requirements.
- Brands include ProStop.
- Original Equipment (OE) replacement pads use application specific materials and friction formulation and are engineered for the specific make and model.
- OE Pads provide an upgrade in performance over standard pads without a significant price increase.
- Brands include ProStop Platinum and Wagner.
- With a noticeable upgrade in performance, smooth stopping and noise reduction, premium ceramic brake pads are for the discerning driver.
- Brands include Bosch Quiet Cast Premium and ProStop Ceramic Premium.
- Ultra-premium brake pads use OE validated friction material and vehicle specific formulas. They are also rotor friendly for extended rotor life.
- The best of the best for drivers looking to get the most out of their driving experience.
- Brands include Akebono.
Extreme-Duty and High_performance
- Designed for more intense braking needs for vehicles used for outdoor work and mountain driving, extreme-duty brake pads handle higher temperatures and heavy loads by incorporating carbon metallic and carbon ceramic materials.
- Brands include EBC and ProStop Platinum Severe Duty.
- Pep Boys offers Power Stop Evolution 1-click brake kits.
- Two performance rotors and matching ceramic pads at a discounted price.
- Kits are pre-matched and make ordering easy with applicable hardware and ceramic lubricant.
Brakes play a vital part in safe driving, and if you’re not experienced at changing your own brake pads, the experts at Pep Boys are always here to help you find the right pad at the right price and get it installed.