Trust Your Brake System to Pep Boys
One of your car's most important components may not help you get great mileage, enhance your driving comfort, or make your car go faster—it actually slows you down!
That's right, it's your braking system! Your car uses a highly complex system consisting of friction material, a master cylinder, boosters, rotors and drums, calipers or wheel cylinders and an intricate assembly of springs, hoses, steel lines, valves, and sometimes computers, to always bring you to a safe stop.
With today's wind drag reduced car designs, lifting your foot off the gas pedal no longer quickly slows your car's momentum. Plus, most modern cars are front wheel drive and virtually 80 percent of your braking power now centers on the correct operation of front disc brakes where all the weight is. In addition, breakthroughs in braking technology now allow smaller, lighter brake components. These modern brake systems operate at temperatures hundreds of degrees hotter than the braking system of just 10 years ago!
With the complexity of current braking technology, it's easy to see why proper brake maintenance and repair service should only be performed by trusted and experienced professionals—like the nationally-certified technicians at Pep Boys!
Brake Problems: The Warning Signs
- Brake warning light comes on
- Your car pulls to one side when braking instead of stopping in a straight line
- When applied, your brakes grab, causing jerky stops
- Brakes grind with continuous loud metallic noise when applied
- Brake pedal is either mushy or very hard to depress
- Brakes must be pumped to work properly
- Wheel(s) are excessively hot after short drives
- Brake fluid leaks are seen around any wheel or in engine compartment, near master cylinder location
- Brake fluid very low or very dirty looking