OIL PAN GASKET
The oil pan contains the engine oil, and with the help of its gasket, it keeps the engine’s oil safely contained and the engine’s moving parts lubricated.
INSTALL LEVEL OF DIFFICULTYMEDIUM
How Does it Work?
- An oil pan gasket forms a seal between the cylinder block and the oil pan when bolted in place
How Is It Made?
- Oil pan gaskets may be a simple cork gasket shaped to conform to the engine block flange, a rubberized material, a molded rubber over a steel carrier or a full-rubber molded seal
- Some gaskets are one-piece gaskets while others may be multiple pieces that require assembly during installation
Why Does It Fail?
- Engine heat
- Loose fasteners
- Sealing surface irregularities
- Over-tightened hold down bolts
- Excessive internal engine pressure
What are Symptoms of Failure?
- Oil leaking to the outside of engine
- Leaks on the floor
What Are the Consequences of Failure?
- Oil loss
- Smoking, potential for engine fire
- Engine damage due to low oil volume
If you have questions or concerns about oil pan gaskets or any of your vehicle’s components, come into your local Pep Boys where we can answer any question, help you find any part, or perform any vehicle service you might need.