Staying Safe During the Holiday Season
As the holidays approach, more people are out and about. Whether your next Point B is shopping at the mall, cooking at your mother’s house, or picking your child up from college, it is important to be aware of your surroundings and keep your car well maintained and organized. Taking a few preventative measures can help keep your holiday season going smoothly. Pep Boys wishes you and yours a safe, happy and peaceful holiday season.
Online Holiday Shopping Tips
- Make sure your personal computer is secure before surfing the web. Update your anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-spam software.
- Keep your password and personal information private. Do not respond to “phishing” emails, including those asking you to verify your password or credit card information unless you initiated the contact.
- Be wary of bargains from companies that are unfamiliar to you. Remember the old adage, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
- Make sure the website you are shopping on is secure. You should see “https” in the URL and a locked padlock at the bottom of your screen.
- Make it a habit to shop with companies you know and trust. Do some research if you are shopping at an unfamiliar site.
Stay Safe While You Shop
- Do not leave purchased items visible in your vehicle; lock these items in your trunk.
- Keep your trunk or cargo space organized with a cargo organizer and keep items from falling on top of one another, protecting fragile gifts.
- If you’re road tripping to an unfamiliar location, be sure to use a GPS so you can get there safely.
- A dash caddy is a great item for keeping the GPS securely positioned on your dash so you can clearly hear the directions, and when you’re being rerouted.
- Remain aware of your surroundings at all times and move to and from your next Point B with confidence and “purpose.”
- Have your keys out and ready before getting to your vehicle so you do not have to search for them while standing near it.
- Keep your car doors and windows locked while in or out of your vehicle.
- Set your car alarm or use an anti-theft device when leaving your vehicle.
- While out shopping or running errands in the evening hours, park in areas of the parking lots with adequate lighting. Consider shopping with a buddy rather than going alone.
- It’s important to be prepared for unexpected weather that may arise. Make sure your vehicle is stocked with the necessary emergency supplies including a windshield scraper, emergency supply kit, flares, and first aid kit.
- Create extra cabin space with a rooftop carrier. You can also keep the inside of your vehicle organized with an over the seat organizer and reusable trash bags to keep clutter away.