Brake Warning Signs
Know the warning signs of failing brakes—and stay safe.
- Your brake warning light comes on.
- Your vehicle pulls to one side when you press down on the brakes, instead of stopping in a straight line.
- Your vehicle jerks to a stop when you press down on the brakes.
- Your brakes grind continuous with a loud metallic noise when you press down on them.
- Your brake pedal is either "mushy" or hard to press down.
- You must pump the brakes to get them to work right.
- One or more wheels are excessively hot after short drives.
- You see fluid leaks around any wheel or in the engine compartment near the master cylinder.