Improve Your Car's Fuel Efficiency
You can get the best mileage possible from your car by keeping it in top shape and using some easy energy-saving ideas.
It's important for vehicles to be maintained properly so that they run efficiently, especially at times like now when the price of a gallon of gas has increased dramatically.
- Tune ups: Probably the biggest waste of gas is an improperly tuned engine. Rough running engine uses more gas quicker than a properly tuned engine.
- Tire pressure: Under inflation or over inflation of tires can lead to decreased fuel mileage and improper wear, shortening the life of your tires. Check your owner's manual for the recommended tire pressure and check your tires regularly with a tire pressure gauge.
- Air filters: Dirty air filters can also cause your engine to run at less than peak efficiency. Regular visual checks of the air filter will tell you if it needs replacing and your owner's manual will also recommend appropriate replacement intervals.
- Oil: Using the correct viscosity oil is important because higher viscosity oils have greater resistance to the moving parts of the engine, and therefore use more gas.
- Unnecessary air conditioner use: Driving with the A/C on puts a big drain on your gas mileage. Keep it off until the summer heat sets in and you'll save.
- Power accessories: Items that plug into your vehicle's cigarette lighter, such as TV consoles for mini-vans and SUVs, can cause the alternator to work harder to provide electrical current. That adds a load to the engine and added load increases fuel use, decreasing your gas mileage.
- Driving style: Quick starts from a stoplight or stop sign use more fuel than smooth, steady acceleration. Adjust your driving style to save gas.
- Extended idling time: Unnecessary idling of the engine will cause excessive fuel use. If you're going to be sitting in the car for a while, shut it off.
For the best in automotive service and maintenance, call your local Pep Boys and ask to speak to a service representative. We offer a comprehensive list of services, top notch ASE-certified technicians, and low-priced preventive maintenance packages to help you on your way.