As Hurricane Season Approaches, Pep Boys Offers Florida Residents Tax Abatement on Emergency Preparedness Supplies
PHILADELPHIA - May 31, 2007
The Pep Boys - Manny, Moe & Jack (NYSE: "PBY"), the nation's leading automotive aftermarket retail and service chain, invites customers to take advantage of the upcoming Florida tax abatement period and become "hurricane ready."
In preparation for the upcoming hurricane season, the state of Florida is running a tax-free promotion from June 1 through June 12 on hurricane-related supplies. This list includes the following:
- Flashlights and other portable, self-powered light sources
- Portable radios, two-way radios and weather-band radios
- Gas or diesel fuel containers
- Batteries (AAA, AA, C and D cell, and 6 and 9-volt batteries)
- Non-electrical food storage coolers
- Portable generators
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- Storm shutter devices
For detailed pricing requirements on the products mentioned above, please visit the Florida Department of Environmental Protection Web site at www.dep.state.fl.us and select "press releases." With 43 Pep Boys locations throughout the state of Florida, consumers are strongly encouraged to visit their local Pep Boys where they can take advantage of the tax abatement period and stock up on essential supplies that will be vital during a hurricane crisis. Essential items include generators, batteries, emergency lighting, tarps, duct tape, hand tools (hammer, screwdrivers), battery-operated drills, first aid kits and coolers. In addition, Pep Boys encourages residents in hurricane-prone areas to formulate a plan well in advance of a potential crisis. These are some elements to consider:
- Discuss the type of hazards that could affect your family. Know your home's vulnerability to storm surge, flooding and wind.
- Locate a safe room or the safest areas in your home for each hurricane hazard. In certain circumstances, the safest areas may not be in your home but within your community.
- Determine escape routes from your home and places to meet
- Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact, so all family members have a single point of contact
About Pep Boys
Pep Boys has 593 stores and over 6,000 service bays in 36 states and Puerto Rico. Along with its vehicle repair and maintenance capabilities, the Company also serves the commercial auto parts delivery market and is one of the leading sellers of replacement tires in the United States. Customers can find the nearest location by calling 1-800-PEP-BOYS or by visiting pepboys.com.
- Pep Boys Contacts:
- Kirk Siltzer (215) 430-9241
- Alex Spooner (215) 430-9588